This page is your place for up-to-date information about The Braille Challenge.
- The 2019 Braille Challenge season opens from January 2, 2019 through March 14, 2019. The online contest order form will be live in November through the links below.
- The contest ordering page for TVI’s will be open November 1, 2018 through February 22, 2019.
- The contest ordering page for REGIONAL COORDINATORS will be open November 1, 2018 through February 1st, 2019.
- All Regional Coordinators are sent the following materials: an electronic scoring grid and registration log listing students who have participated in their regional in the last year, customized permission forms, promotional postcards, and customized artwork for T-shirts. Please contact Marie Saldivar at (323) 210-2593 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Updated scoring materials and guidelines can be found on the Documents page.
- All additional instructions are in the updated handbook, found on the Documents page.
FOR THE 2019 BRAILLE CHALLENGE, ALL CONTESTS across ALL GRADE LEVELS WILL BE IN UEB. THERE WILL BE NO EBAE OPTION.
As of January 2016, Unified English Braille (UEB) became the official braille code for United States. Based on a review of state implementation plans and feedback from our regional coordinators, teachers and National Advisory Committee, most younger students transitioning to UEB in September 2015, but the transition from EBAE to UEB is less defined and not as consistent for older students. The goal of The Braille Challenge is to support the timely transition to UEB, but also to be as fair as possible to all students by providing contests in the code most will be using.
The goal of The Braille Challenge is to support the timely transition to UEB, but also to be as fair as possible to all students by providing contests in the code most will be using.
- All contracted Apprentice and Freshman contests will be in UEB ONLY. There will be no EBAE option.
- Apprentice students may take the uncontracted version, but are not eligible for the Finals.
- All Sophomore, Junior Varsity, and Varsity contests will be in UEB ONLY. There will be no EBAE option.
- BIA will provide contests and answer keys in UEB ONLY.
- Students with the best scores nationally will advance.
- All forms, registration spreadsheets and other supporting documents will reflect these options.
- We will post all practice contests in UEB as samples.
Resources for Learning UEB
Hadley School for the Blind UEB Transition Course: Available from Hadley for $99.00 this fall.
UEB Online: Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children’s Renwick Centre (a training program for sighted people to learn UEB).
BANA’s The ABCs of UEB: authored by Constance Risjord (a program for those who already know EBAE to quickly build on their knowledge of braille to understand UEB).
CNIB Transcriber’s UEB Course: “Update to UEB” file types: Word, print .pdf, .brf, and.dxb.