INDEPENDENCE. WELLNESS. RESOURCES.Thanks to the support of generous donors and an active auxiliary, Braille Institute San Diego offers a wide variety of free programs and services for people who are visually impaired in San Diego County. We invite you to discover all that we offer!
To receive more information on any of the following services, please contact us today at (858) 452-1111 or complete our online request form.
DAILY LIVING SKILLS
- Our Adult Programs feature lifestyle classes and activities to help adults with little to no vision build practical skills and gain or regain independence. We invite you to review our regularly updated class catalog to find classes that interest you.
- Our Low Vision Rehabilitation Consultants make recommendations for lighting and magnification devices and demonstrate the latest products and devices designed to assist people with sight loss during free one-on-one consultations.
- Connection Pointe is our state-of-the-art technology center that offers free instruction on all of the latest mainstream and adaptive devices.
- Library Services from Braille Institute include free access to more than 800,000 books, as well as free digital book machines and downloadable books through the Braille and Audio Reading Download program (BARD). We also offer book clubs and access to a Telephone Reader Program (TRP) where patrons can listen to a variety of publications in both English and Spanish.
ARTS & HEALTHY LIVING
- We invite you to celebrate life and explore personal interests by taking one of our many classes. Whether it's art, music, Tai Chi, yoga, cooking, or puzzles, our regularly updated class catalog has something for everyone.
YOUTH PROGRAMS (BIRTH THROUGH 18)
- Our Child Development Program partners with families to share ideas and resources while using a play-based approach for developmentally appropriate activities to encourage infants and toddlers to safely explore their environment.
- Youth Programs create a solid foundation and camaraderie among school-age children to strengthen daily living skills, literacy, social skills and self-confidence through carefully structured programming.
BRINGING OUR SERVICES TO YOU
We understand that not everyone can get to our center in San Diego so we proudly offer many of our services in communities throughout San Diego County.
- Community Outreach Programs. These are shorter programs that meet once a week in the community to review topics such as: Understanding vision loss/orientation and mobility, staying connected through computers, independent living skills, and other services. Like other Braille Institute services, these programs are free.
- Check the Braille Institute San Diego Events Calendar to find outreach events near you or click here to learn more about scheduling an outreach presentation for your organization.